Hey there! Have you ever wondered what Surf and Turf is? It’s a mouth-watering dish that combines both meat and seafood on the same plate. The “Surf” refers to the seafood, while the “Turf” refers to the meat. It’s often considered a luxurious meal, as it usually includes high-quality ingredients.
If you’re interested in trying this dish, your best bet is to head to a restaurant that specializes in Surf and Turf. Many steak houses and mid-range restaurants along the American coast offer it as a main course.
So, why not treat yourself to a delicious meal and head out to Cap’s St Pete to try our famous Surf and Turf? Just be sure to bring your appetite!
What Exactly Is a Surf and Turf?
Surf and turf is a type of meal that consists of both seafood (surf) and meat (turf) on the same plate. Typically, the dish will have a steak or another type of meat such as pork or chicken, and some form of seafood like shrimp, lobster, or crab.
This dish has its roots in the United States, specifically in the 1960s when it was first introduced. It quickly became popular due to its unique combination of flavors, as well as the fact that it allowed diners to enjoy both meat and seafood in one dish.
There are many variations of the dish, but the most common is a filet mignon with a lobster tail. Other versions may include a ribeye steak, shrimp, or scallops. The seafood is usually grilled, boiled, or fried and served alongside the meat.
Surf and turf is often considered a special occasion meal due to its price and indulgent nature. It’s a popular choice for romantic dinners, anniversary celebrations, and other special events.
While surf and turf may not be a dish for everyone, it’s definitely worth trying at least once. The combination of flavors and textures is unique and delicious, and it’s a great way to indulge in some high-quality meat and seafood.
Surf and Turf: A Dish Created at the Coast
While food critics and historians disagree on whether surf and turf originated on the East Coast or West Coast of the United States there is consensus that the ocean played an important role. No matter if you were in the Pacific or Atlantic, seafood was abundant on both coasts. Seafood restaurants began to pair it with steak during the 1960s, which is another delicious meal.
Lobster and filet mignon are frequently referred to as the original surf and turf combination.
Advocates for a West Coast origin claim that the Seattle Space Needle restaurant is the original home to surf and turf. It was the World’s Fair 1962 that first served this dish.
People who believe that surf and turf originates from the East Coast refer to an advertisement in The Lowell Sun in January 1966. This Lowell, Massachusetts newspaper is located at Lowell. The advertisement advertised a Champagne Surf’N Turf Dinner with filet mignon, baked Alaskan Crab Legs, and stuffed Alaskan Crab Legs. This was the first time that steak and seafood were combined in a surf and turf ad.
The Ultimate Surf and Turf Recipe
To make a five-star surf n’ turf, you don’t have to be a professional chef. This is a quick and easy recipe that can be prepared in a matter of minutes. It’s the perfect meal to serve after a surf session, or for special occasions.
It will impress your closest friends and family. It is the perfect combination of land and ocean.
Medium-high heat (150°F or 65°C) a good steak and then add salt and vinegar to create a flavorful marinade.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
Gordon Ramsay’s surf-and-turf recipe is a great choice.
- 1.5 oz filet mignon
- 1 lobster tail
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 3 tablespoons cognac
- 4 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon of veal stock reduction/demi-glace
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 3 turnips
- 3 carrots
- Season filet mignon steaks with black pepper and salt
- Place one tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan
- Sear the meat for 2-3 minutes on each side. Make sure it doesn’t stick and cook it medium rare
- Add minced garlic with two sprigs each of thyme and butter
- Baste the steak
- Take out the ground beef and let it sit and rest
The Seasoning Mix
- In a large saucepan, put the butter, garlic, shallot, and butter
- Add the cognac, then flambe
- Reduce the alcohol to syrup and then burn it off
- Add chicken stock, demiglace, cream, and grain mustard
- Season the lobster with salt while the meat rests
- Put the lobster in butter and saffron
- Allow it to poach until the flavor intensifies
- Mix turnips, carrots, and seasoning in a bowl
- Place them open face side down in a large pan
- Add butter
- When the ingredients have turned caramelized and golden brown, set them aside.
- Put the steak right in the middle of the plate
- Add the poached lobster on top of the steak
- Scatter the turnips and carrots around the meat and seafood
- Drizzle the cognac sauce over the veggies
Craving Seafood and Steak? Satisfy Your Appetite with Cap’s Surf and Turf in St. Petersburg!
If you’re searching for a meal that offers a little bit of everything, Cap’s Steamer Bar & Grill has the perfect option for you: our Surf and Turf! Our Surf and Turf is a delightful combination of a juicy New York strip steak and sweet, succulent snow crab. We believe that the Surf and Turf is the perfect meal that offers a little something for everyone.
Check Out Our Full Menu HERE!
At Cap’s, we take great pride in our dishes. Our New York strip steak is cooked to perfection, and we use only the freshest and most flavorful snow crab. With every bite, you’ll taste the care and attention to detail that our chefs put into creating this mouthwatering dish. Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or just looking for a delicious meal, Cap’s is the perfect choice.
So come on down to Cap’s Steamer Bar & Grill and savor the flavors of the land and sea with our Surf and Turf!